Many people take their decks for granted. It may have been a lively place in the house once, where you have received guests, threw a party or a barbecue, or just a place where you spent quality time with the family. However, time passed and it rendered your deck unworthy of such occasions. You have other choices so you can easily ignore the deck. However, reports of accidents and sense of practicality prove that it is definitely better to have a safe deck, in its best condition.
While life expectancy of a deck is up to twenty five years, there are extrinsic factors that can affect its early need for repairs. It can be exposure to extreme weather conditions, severe usage, and even accidents. This is why it is even expected that partial removal of the deck will be needed after a decade.
There are different companies that offer deck maintenance and repair. They can help you preserve the life and beauty of your deck. They can even assist you with the basic deck maintenance.
- Keep it clean. Just like everything else, the first step to maintain your deck is to keep it clean. Set a schedule or a regular time for cleaning. First, you have to observe and plan. Choose the parts that easily get dirt. How should you clean your deck? Where should you start? What are the things that you will need? Then, wash the deck and rinse. You can do all these or you can let the professionals keep your deck clean for optimum results. As they clean, you can put your feet up and enjoy the sun or attend to other more important tasks.
- Keep it safe. You should always be on the lookout for parts of your deck that demands attention and taking care of. Decks look best when they are stained. However, you should check and make sure that it is ready before you have it stained. You need to make sure that there are no loose boards and that there are no loose nails for a hassle-free staining experience. In cases of loose boards, you can remove the loose board carefully. Then, you can go to the hardware or construction supply store and purchase a board with the exact measurement as the one that you removed. Then, put it on its place. It is best to choose a wooden board that is pressure-treated. Loose nails should be hammered immediately. It is also important to replace nails right when they start to rust. This is also a task that you can let the experts do for you.
- Keep it stained. Stain is skin care for decks. While you wash, tone, and moisturize, your deck should also stay clean, perfect, and beautiful. There are different shades of wood stain available in the market today so no matter what your preferences are, you can easily find the perfect wood stain. Just remember to choose one that does not only provide beauty, but also protection for your deck.
Deck as good as new
There are different ways on how you can make your deck look new again. However, it is best to consult a professional about what you want done to make sure that it is done right. Here are some of the options for your younger-looking deck:
- Clean and clear. You can opt for a clear, colorless sealant. This will enhance the natural beauty of your deck. This is like natural makeup for your deck. However, this kind of sealant does not give as much protection as a pigmented one so retouch in every year or so is needed.
- Shades and Sheers. If you cannot commit to annual sealant retouch, you can choose a pigmented sealant instead. This will give you two more years before the next touch up as it can last for up to three years.
- With flying colors. If aesthetics is on the top of your list and you do not mind deck touch ups in a matter of months, they you can also use colors on your deck. However, if you just want to add solid colors but you are not ready for such an obligation, then you can limit its application to your deck’s vertical elements. It is a great idea to use it on the balusters instead.
Taking care of your deck is taking care of the environment
Do you know that because of people who fail to perform deck maintenance promptly, about six million trees are cut and used for new decks? This is why deck maintenance and repair can help you save money and save the earth.
How do you know when it is time for a deck repair?
Never ignore what your deck says or what your deck shows. Here are some tell-tale signs that your deck is screaming for attention and repairs:
- Rot Wailer. When the edges of your deck’s wood are wailing as it is starting to rot, then it is time for a repair. It is unsightly and it is a sign that the woods are getting weak. Have the necessary repairs done to prevent accidents in the future. Protect your deck as you protect your loved ones from potential accidents.
- Foot loose. Cracked and loose woods also scream for change. In such cases, have your deck checked and repaired. As they say, prevention is better than cure. Do not wait for someone to get hurt before you take action. Bear in mind that it is your family who will most likely suffer from injuries in case of accidents because of lose or cracked woods on your deck.
- Losing it. Loose hand railings as well as loose and weak support are equally dangerous as cracked and loose wooden boards. There is no need to fret, though. Just keep calm and call the experts.
To find the best deck repairs and maintenance service provider, research, ask for recommendations, and read reviews.
Photo credits: Flicker's Creative Commons
Photo credits: Flicker's Creative Commons